The Usage of Miswak: Way of Cleaning the Mouth & Pleasing To Allah
The medical benefit with Miswaak has been extensively recorded. A number of research have indicated that Miswaak, when used properly, is a superb anti-microbial toothbrush for dental hygiene and gum infection cure, minimizing plaque and gingivitis, teeth whitening and relieving smelly breath, whilst giving you a nice mouth odor. It has established that the Miswaak has effective ingredients which aren't generally present in toothpastes with anticariogenic and anti-inflammatory hypoglycemic functions.
The usage of Miswak is a way of cleaning the mouth and is pleasing to Allah (The Almighty). The Miswak is a stick through which a person cleans the mouth. A great Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (May Allah bless him and grant him peace). Moreover it is a Sunnah of all the Messengers of Allah (upon them all be peace), for they used the Miswak.
Abu Ayyub Ansari (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that four things are the Sunnahs of all the prophets (upon them all be peace)
- To use fragrance
- To use Miswak
Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) has reported that:
“The prayer before which the Miswak is utilized is 70 times more superior to that before which it is not used.”
Abu Darda (may Allah be pleased with him) states that:
“Make Miswak a must do not be headless as there are twenty four benefits in Miswak, the greatest benefit is that Allah (swt), becomes pleased, there is increase in wealth, it freshens the breath, it strengthens the gums, it relieves headaches, it relieves toothache and due to the light from the face and teeth the angles shake hands.”
The wisdom underlying the usage of the Miswaak after rising from sleep is that during sleep bad vapours rise from the stomach towards the mouth. This leads to bad smell in the mouth in addition to a change in the sense of taste. Using the Miswaak removes unhealthy smell and rectifies the change which occurred in the taste.
- Enhances the memory.
- Eliminates slime.
- Produces aroma in the mouth.
- Strengthens the gums.
- Blocks tooth decay.
- Stops further grow of decay.
- Remedy for headaches.
- Helps relieving toothaches.
- Triggers the teeth to sparkle.
- Eliminates the yellowishness of the teeth.
- Improves the eye-sight.
- Helpful for the health of your whole body.
- Helps the process of Digestive function.
- treatment for a specific mouth disease called Qilaa
- Clears the voice.
- Trigger the appetite.
- Boosts the eloquence of one's speech.
- Improve the Intelligence.
- Creates lustre (Noor) on the face of the one who regularly employs it.
- A remedy for all disease except Death.
- Multiplies the Thawaab (reward) of Salaat (prayer) from 70 times to 400 times. (HADITH)
- A thing that will bring in greater rankings in Jannat for those who uses it
- The Angels sing the praises of the person who uses the Miswaak.
- Make use of the Miswaak displeases Shaitaan.
- Use of the Miswaak graces one with the company of the Angels
- The greatest advantage of using the Miswaak is the achievement of Allah Ta'ala's Pleasure.
Etiquette of Miswak
- The Miswak shouldn't be too hard or too soft.
- It is produced from trees like Zaytoon, Peelu or Neem but not from a fragrant tree.
- Rub the Miswak on the gums at least 3 times and dip it in water every time.
- Place the Miswak upright when not being used.
- The Miswak should not be thicker than the ring finger and longer than the hand
- Use the right hand to use Miswak.
- Clean your miswak at least 3 times a day.
- Don't use Miswak in an up or down motion but apply it from right to left since there is a chance of harming the gums.
- It is disliked to use the Miswak in the washroom.
- Don't use it whilst lying since there is a possibility of bad temper.
- To use Miswak in ablution is an emphasized Sunnah
- Miswak is Sunnah for ablution and not for Salaah.
- Use the Miswak from one end and not both.
- Females can also use the Miswak.
- Cut the bristles (tip) of the Miswak every 1-2 days and begin fresh by biting to make it soft.
- It is permissible to use Miswak whilst fasting.
- To use the Miswak after meal, you will get the benefit of liberating 2 slaves.
May Allah (The Almighty) provide us with the opportunity to practise this beautiful Sunnah with sincerity, Amen.